Purchase our Rocket's Red Glare here!
- 1 Can Bewitched Amber Ale Brewing Extract
- 1 Packet Dry Brewing Yeast (under lid of Brewing Extract)
- 1 BrewMax LME SoftPack - Golden
- 1 packet Cascade Hop Pellets (0.5 oz)
- 1 Muslin Hop Sack
- 1 Packet No-Rinse Cleanser
OG: 1.059 (approx.) -- FG: 1.014 (approx.)
Suggested conditioning time is 3 to 6 weeks.
ABV (alc/vol): 6.1%
SRM (Color): 16
IBU (Bitterness): 30
STEP 1: SANITIZING
Follow the steps outlined in your Mr. Beer Kit Instructions. (You can find a copy of these instructions by visiting our help desk.)
NOTE: BE SURE TO SANITIZE EVERYTHING THAT WILL COME INTO CONTACT WITH YOUR BEER.
STEP 2: BREWING
Brewing beer is the process of combining a starch source (in this case, a malt brewing extract) with yeast. Once combined, the yeast eats the sugars in the malt, producing alcohol and carbon dioxide (CO2). This process is called fermentation.
- Remove the yeast packet from under the lid of the can of Brewing Extract, then place the unopened can in hot tap water.
- Place contents of the pellet hops packets into the hop sack tying it closed, then trim away excess material.
- Using the sanitized measuring cup, pour 4 cups of water into your clean 3-quart or larger pot.
- Bring mixture to a boil, add in the hop sack, then remove from heat. Open the can of Brewing Extract and the LME, pour contents into the hot mixture. Stir until thoroughly mixed. This mixture of unfermented beer is called wort.
- Fill keg with cold tap water to the #1 mark on the back.
- Pour the wort, including the hop sack, into the keg, and then bring the volume of the keg to the #2 mark by adding more cold water. You'll leave the hop sack in the wort for the duration of fermentation. Stir vigorously with the spoon or whisk.
- Sprinkle the yeast packet into the keg, and screw on the lid. Do not stir.
- Put your keg in a location with a consistent temperature between 65° and 75° F (18.3°-23.8° C) and out of direct sunlight. After approximately 24 hours, you will be able to see the fermentation process happening by shining a flashlight into the keg. You'll see the yeast in action in the wort. The liquid will be opaque and milky, you will see bubbles rising in the liquid, and there will be bubbles on the surface.
- You’ll ferment for 21 days total. Your fermentation will usually reach its peak in 2 to 5 days (this is also known as “high krausen”). You may see a layer of foam on top of the wort, and sediment will accumulate at the bottom of the fermenter. This is totally normal. Complete fermentation will take approximately 2 weeks. After high krausen the foam and activity will subside and your batch will appear to be dormant. Your beer is still fermenting. The yeast is still at work slowly finishing the fermentation process.
STEP 3: BOTTLING AND CARBONATING
- Follow the steps outlined in your Mr. Beer Kit Instructions. (You can find a copy of these instructions by visiting our help desk.)