Purchase our Munich Malt Monster recipe here.
- 2 Cans Oktoberfest Lager Brewing Extract
- 2 Packets Dry Ale Yeast (under lid of Brewing Extract)
- 1 Packet Safale S-04 Dry Ale Yeast
- 2 BrewMax LME Softpack - Pale
- 2 Packets Sterling Pellet Hops (.25 oz)
- 1 Packet Palisade Pellet Hops
- 1 Muslin Hop Sack
- 1 Packet No-Rinse Cleanser
WARNING: Due to the large amount of malt, your keg may overflow or explode! Maintaining proper fermentation temperatures toward the lower end of the yeast's range is key to preventing this problem. (See brewing instructions for details).
OG: 1.084(approx.) -- FG: 1.018 (approx.)
Suggested conditioning time is 6-12 months.
ABV (alc/vol): 8.9%
SRM (Color): 28
IBU (Bitterness): 42
STEP 1: SANITIZING
Follow the steps outlined in your Mr. Beer Kit Instructions. (You can find a copy of these instructions to download by visiting our help desk.)
NOTE: BE SURE TO SANITIZE EVERYTHING THAT WILL COME INTO CONTACT WITH YOUR BEER.
STEP 2: BREWING
Brewing beer is the process of combining a starch source (in this case, a malt brewing extract) with yeast. Once combined, the yeast eats the sugars in the malt, producing alcohol and carbon dioxide (CO2). This process is called fermentation.
- Remove the yeast packets (not needed for this recipe) from under the lids of Brewing Extract, then place the unopened cans and LME softpacks in hot tap water.
- Place the contents of both pellet hops packets into the hop sack tying it closed, then trim away excess material.
- Using the sanitized measuring cup, pour 4 cups of water into your clean 3-quart or larger pot. Bring water to a boil, add in hop sack, then remove from heat.
- Open the cans of Brewing Extract and the pouches of LME, and pour the contents into the hot mixture. Stir until thoroughly mixed. This mixture of unfermented beer is called wort.
- Fill keg with cold tap water to the #1 mark on the back.
- Pour the wort, including the hop sack, into the keg, and then bring the volume of the keg to the #2 mark by adding more cold water. You'll leave the hop sack in the wort for the duration of fermentation. Stir vigorously with the spoon or whisk.
- Sprinkle ONLY the Safale S-04 yeast packet into the keg, and screw on the lid. Do not stir.
- Put your keg in a location with a consistent temperature between 59° and 68° F (15°-20° C) and out of direct sunlight. After approximately 24 hours, you will be able to see the fermentation process happening by shining a flashlight into the keg. You'll see the yeast in action in the wort. The liquid will be opaque and milky, you will see bubbles rising in the liquid, and there will be bubbles on the surface.
- You’ll ferment for 21 days total. Your fermentation will usually reach its peak in 2 to 5 days (this is also known as “high krausen”). You may see a layer of foam on top of the wort, and sediment will accumulate at the bottom of the fermenter. This is totally normal. Complete fermentation will take approximately 2 weeks. After high krausen the foam and activity will subside and your batch will appear to be dormant. Your beer is still fermenting. The yeast is still at work slowly finishing the fermentation process.
STEP 3: BOTTLING AND CARBONATING
Follow the steps outlined in your Mr. Beer Kit Instructions. (You can find a copy of these instructions to download by visitng our help desk.)